If all goes to plan this article will be posted on or before the 6th November.



  •  Each week I will complete a project- no matter how small.
  •  Each week I will reward myself.
This week I transfer my loyalty from Aldi to Morrisons.

Aldi is what is known as a 'deep discounter' and the winner of the current battle for supremacy among supermarkets. Morrison is generally overlooked as a contender. It is a full service supermarket with a bakery, deli, café, loyalty scheme and all the rest and yet it is cheaper that Tesco, Sainsburys, Waitrose and other alternatives.




I have three reasons to come across. Firstly it is British. Second it feeds the homeless. Thirdly it runs special offers which means that provided one is paying attention it can even be cheaper.

The process of changing a supermarket is more complex than one might think. It is simply no good taking the things one has enjoyed in one supermarket and buying them elsewhere. Each supermarket has its own strengths and so one must find the strengths in the new supermarket.

My favourite aspect is the mock high street surrounding the shop floor. Prices for food prepared on the shop are almost the same as food brought in.




Morrisons is good on meat, deli items, meal deals, wine, own brand items and a few other things.

They also have a dedicated Polish section which is good value and they 'yellow sticker' heavily in the late afternoon.




I expect to break even financially but have the satisfaction of knowing that unsold goods go to the homeless and that minimum standards of animal welfare apply.

Comments